Friday, January 18, 2013

Finding Peace in the Quiet


So often, we do not take time to breathe and just sit down and think about stuff. I find myself almost constantly busy even though I do not have a job (other than being a Stay at Home Mom of course which is 24/7, 365 work...no exceptions.) I find things to do that will fill my day at home with my son. We sing, play car races, learn animal sounds, play with playdough, put away toys, eat, read books, play outside in the snow, snack, and of course we watch The Lorax! Quiet time only ever comes when he is sleeping...and even then, it's not guaranteed. When I do get the enjoy quiet time by myself, I find that a lot of times the sounds of everyday life may be quiet, but my mind and my body are not. While I should be taking advantage of the opportunity to fill my mind and body with the peace of Jesus, I am thinking about what to make for dinner or when I should actually put on real clothes instead of staying in my pajamas all day...again. It takes much concentration to slow down enough to be peaceful. Why is it this way? I think the hustle and bustle of our world and the constant desire to have everything just right robs us of the quiet and peaceful times we could be having. Of course I'm not saying that as soon as your kid goes down for a nap you should collapse on the couch and just sit there all peaceful like if you have things that you absolutely have to get done. I'm saying that a little peace and quiet goes a long way for a mamma who is constantly on the move and busy all day. Even sitting on the couch for 5 minutes while you pray, or just sitting there and trying to clear your mind of all thoughts for a few minutes helps to bring a little peace into your busy day. If you are REALLY lucky (like I am on occasion), you may get the opportunity to soak in a hot bubble bath...and by all means, do NOT pass that up! As moms, we need to have some time to ourselves to indulge in something that we enjoy. We are constantly caring for the needs of others (be they kids or husband) and it is important that we can have some "me-time" every once in a while....or every evening if you can! The perfect place to get your rest is in the arms of Jesus. He tells us to come to Him when we are tired and burdened and He will give us the rest that we need. (Matthew 11:28) Come to Him in prayer. Come to him in thanksgiving. If we go to Him, He will give us the peace, perseverance, love...whatever we need, if we ask Him for it, He will give it to us.(John 14:13) I know that from now on, I am going to take advantage of any quiet time I get and go to Jesus in prayer and thanksgiving and receive the peace that I need on a daily basis...and you can do it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment